Friday, September 26, 2008

Big River (haha)

It was a dull summer Sunday, the kind in which everyone just lies around the house, eating mangoes and cribbing about the heat. My father being the enthusiastic 'outdoor man' decided to take us to the beach. Mother being quite the opposite opted to stay home. She was content in the cool air and dim lighting of her bedroom reading a book. In the end it was just us boys.
The drive to the beach was long and tedious. Heat, smoke and the traffic made everyone rather cranky, specially my brother who was now regretting his decision to come. After what seemed like the longest time, we finally arrived at the river bank.
Stepping out of the vehicle I stretched and scanned my surroundings. It was clear that the gruelling drive was worth its while. Before me lay the river in all its magnificence, water gushing down the vast expanse of its banks, beyond which lay miles of grasslands, dotted with yellow and white flowers. The water was near violent crashing against the rocks, and creating a mist of spray that was carried toward the banks by the wind. The occasional trout would pop out of the water every now and then but the thought of getting wet wasn't very reassuring.
We set up under a tree some distance away from the river bank and spent the rest of the day eating and lazing about in the shade. I even worked up the courage to wear a life jacket and go for a dip in the river. Once in I stayed there until it was time to leave.
I don't think I did anything more pleasureable or fullfilling that summer!

Note: None of this is true as i had to stay close to the provided skeleton.

No comments: